Christian Care Retirement Community
Christian Care Retirement Community
Department: Hospitality Services
Reports to: Hospitality Services Director
Scope of Position:
The primary purpose of your position is to prepare food in accordance with current applicable federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations, with our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Head Cook and/or Director of Food Services, to assure that quality food service is provided at all times.
As Cook, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties.
- A minimum of a 10th grade education is preferred (but not necessary).
- One (1) year dietary experience in a hospital, skilled nursing care facility, or other related medical facility preferred (but not necessary).
- Must be a minimum of nineteen (19) years of age.
- Must be able to cook a variety of foods in large quantities.
- Ability to read, write, and speak the English language
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with residents, family members, visitors, personnel, government agencies and the public.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, the appearance of work areas, and perform regular inspections of food service areas for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
- Must have patience, tact, a cheerful disposition, and enthusiasm, as well as be willing to handle residents based on whatever maturity level they are currently functioning.
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing dietary practices.
Physical & Sensory Qualifications:
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the day.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with the residents, personnel, and support agencies.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
- May be required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of residents.
- Review menus prior to preparation of food.
- Inspect special diet trays to assure they are correct.
- Perform administrative requirements such as completing necessary forms, reports, etc., and submit to the Director of Food Services.
- Coordinate dietary services with other departments as necessary.
- Work with the facility’s dietician as necessary and implement recommended changes as required.
- Assure that all dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies.
- Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished.
- Assume the authority, responsibility, and accountability of Cook.
- Assure that menus are maintained and filed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Assist in establishing food service production line, etc., to assure that meals are prepared on time.
- Process diet changes and new diets as received from Nursing Services. (As needed.)
- Fill out and document CHO replacement forms.
- Fill out sub sheets and post in appropriate place.
- Others as deemed necessary and appropriate, or as may be directed.
- Has reviewed and understands the facility’s Policies and Procedures for Abuse Prevention and knows the employee’s responsibility to enforce it.
- Must be able to perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Develop and maintain a good working report with inter-department personnel as well as with other departments within the facility to assure that food service can be properly maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest, and positive emphasis as well as a calm environment throughout the department.
- Participate and assist in departmental studies and projects as assigned or that may become necessary.
- Attend and participate in workshops, seminars, etc., as directed.
- Participate in in-service education as directed.
- Prepare meals in accordance with planned menus.
- Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
- Prepare food for therapeutic diets in accordance with planned menus.
- Prepare food in accordance with standardized recipes and special diet orders.
- Prepare sub meal and serve appropriate portions as needed.
- Prepare “special meals” as assigned.
- Serve tray line in a timely manner.
- Keep work area clean and orderly.
Safety & Sanitation:
- Prepare food in accordance with sanitary regulations as well as our established policies and procedures.
- Assure that safety regulations are followed at all times by all personnel.
- Follow established Infection Control and Universal Precautions policies and procedures when performing daily tasks.
- Assist/direct daily or scheduled cleaning duties in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Report all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Director of Food Services immediately.
- Report all accidents/incidents as established by department policies. Fill out and file reports as directed.
- Assist in maintaining food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times.
- Dispose of food and waste in accordance with established policies.
- Wear protective clothing and equipment when handling infectious waste and/or bloody/body fluids.
Equipment & Supply Functions:
- Assure that food and supplies for the next meal are readily available.
- Assist in inventory and storing in-coming food, supplies, etc., as necessary.
- Recommend to the Director of Food Services the equipment and supply needs of the department.
- Maintain the confidentiality of resident information.
- Honor the resident’s personal and property rights.
- Knock before entering resident’s room.
- Review complaints and grievances and make necessary oral/written reports to the Director of Food Services within three (3) working days of the complaint/grievance.
- Works in well-lighted/ventilated areas. Atmosphere is warm for cooking.
- Sits, stands, bends, lifts and moves intermittently during working hours.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Is involved with residents, personnel, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc., under all conditions and circumstances.
- Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, etc.
- Communicates with the medical staff, nursing stall, and other department supervisors.
- Works beyond normal duty hours, on weekends, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
- Attends and participates in continuing educational programs.
- Is subject to falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., throughout the work day.
- Is subject to sudden temperature changes when entering refrigerator.
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including the AIDS and hepatitis B viruses.
- Maintains a liaison with other department supervisors to adequately plan for dietary services/activities.
Job Description Review:
I understand the job description, its requirements, and that I am expected to complete all duties as assigned. I understand that job duties may be altered from these duties. I have noted below any accommodation that are required to enable me to perform these duties. I further understand that my employment is at-will and thereby understand that my employment can be terminated at-will by the facility or myself and that such termination can be made with or without notice.
Employee’s Signature Date
Supervisor’s Signature Date
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org